Sunday, April 05, 2009

Kiwi Celebs

Phew, another busy weekend comes to an end. We are in the grip of the daylight saving change and are suffering from the weirdness of body and clocks being out of sync. Dark evenings suck!

The other day I was walking to a meeting and saw over my shoulder across the road a couple of short grey haired women. I did a double take and realised they were the Topp Twins (whom I love!) and thought how cool it was to see them and how small they looked. Then I saw a white haired old woman tap one on the shoulder and I thought 'how nice, she recognises them. Then realised she was asking them for directions, and as they don't live here and are famous I thought that was fantastic and pretty funny as they pointed in the direction of something. How cool they are. Real and grounded kiwis. I have witnessed the indifference of other famous people and have felt embarrassed at their behaviour. I understand that you need to put a shield up for protection or whatever, however, it is other people that allow you to be famous so get over it.
Yesterday I had the delight of watching my absolute favourite chef Ray McVinnie (see my tribute) at the 'Food Show'. He is not only a great cook but he is also a very friendly, self effacing and just a really nice open person. I had the opportunity to share a few words with him at one point and he was SOOOO nice. I couldn't bring myself to say 'i love you'. I just managed something inane and uninteresting but I was more than thrilled to share a square metre with one of my food hero heroes.
I cooked his recipes for dinner last night and totally swooned over the gorgeous things Erica and I had bought at the food show. Fresh olive oil, Galilee cheese, mint syrup, yoghurt to die for and chocolate. It was just lovely, hear me moan.
Oh yes, saw the very gorgeous Donna Hay as well on stage and she was also very cool. She sounded like my cousins (Sydneysiders) and was funny as well as being a great cook. I have her book 'No time to cook' home from the library at the moment. Worth a read. Nice recipes.So in the last week I have had the pleasure of seeing a few well known people in public and think how much I love living in a small country where people can be themselves and you can bump into famous people by accident and they are just great. Interestingly, New Zealanders tend to leave people alone and respect their privacy.

No comments: