Saturday, April 25, 2009

ANZAC

With the sickening sounds of Saving Private Ryan on in the background, I am writing about our ANZAC day. To most New Zealanders today is an important day where we take time to remember our soldiers who gave themselves to the wars that we have fought in over the past 100 or so years. WWI and II plus Korea and Vietnam as well as the Boer (I think). We also, with less interest and understanding acknowledge our soldiers serving in current peace keeping missions in places like Iraq and Timor. Interestingly, none of them anywhere near us but what courageous men and women they all were. I had two grandparents in WWI and II and I know what those wars meant to my parents.
Last year we were in Coolangatta for ANZAC day and it didn't feel quite right as it was very warm and there were huge numbers of people there. This year Nic and I went down to New Brighton to participate in the local event - something I do every year. I think about 1,500 people attended and although the sun was out, there was a nippy easterly blowing off the sea. Just what a New Zealand ANZAC day is all about.It was moving as usual and I cried but nice to take some time to reflect and give thanks for being allowed to live in a free democracy and know that other people have fought for that privilege.


We went for a scoot down the pier but it was perishing so a very quick visit.

Then we came home with savoury pastries which we ate before heading out to the garden for a great clear up and hang out afternoon. While Jonty dismantled the trampoline Nic and I swept up leaves for mulching and then I attacked the ivy and honeysuckle. I also managed a final coat of paint on the lounge window sills.After clearing a lot of foliage Nic was able to get up in the fig tree and spent a lot of time up there, in this shot with a cheese toasted sandwich and a pair of white scissors. I was inspired to make Tuscan Bean Soup and my first Bread and Butter Pudding. Yum.

I know Private Ryan is a very good film but it is just too distressing to watch for a second time so I am heading to bed.

2 comments:

WRITING MOMMY said...

Those are really cute pics of your son. Can't decide which one's better - him with the leaves or him on the tree. :)

jonsaint said...

Thank you for giving me an idea of how much ANZAC meant to a lot of KIWIs. As a migrant, again, I thank you.