Friday, April 03, 2009

Food

Over the past few weekends I have been doing what has obviously been happening forever in Autumn kitchens around the world and that is preserving and making hearty harvest food. There is just something in the air that makes you want to get cooking. Besides the Caesar salad I have made quince jelly, pear and cranberry chutney, gingerbread, black boy peach crumble and a stunning Jamie Oliver fish dish and delicious chocolaty afghans (which Jonty ate in one day, might I add!). I know it doesn't sound like much but this is just a few of my weekend activities. I guess it is the bounteous produce literally falling off trees all over the place and people just trying to get rid of the excess that is the key driver but there is nothing like a house filled with sugary vinegary smells and rows of glistening jars and warm bites of deliciousness.
I am off to the Food Show this weekend and am hoping to discover more new and interesting things to brighten up the culinary day. Two of my favourite chefs are going to be there Ray McVinnie and Donna Hay, so I am very excited. Not sure when we are going but it is going to be top of my list for the weekend.

On Saturday night we had a rare night out at a restaurant with our friends Karen and Justy. It was really fun for lots of reasons but one of the reasons was Chinwag Eathai. It is a well known and newly loved eatery that I have been meaning to get to for ages. Basically gourmet Thai food. Nothing was as you expected and it was delicious. I paid dearly for that the next day, without going into details. A definite must visit. Expensive but delicious!

A nice way to spend an afternoon recovering was to go to the beach. It was sparkly and calm at the same time and the water still warm enough to swim in without a wetsuit. Although the others had one and were in the water boogie boarding for ages. I reclined after my dip and just lapped up the sun and people watched. It was really warm but with a tiny hint of autumn in the air. Perfect!

No comments: