Monday, February 20, 2006

virtually there

Kim Rutter writes a column for the NZ house and garden magazine. She always comes up with interesting websites which I often check out. This month she featured two, perkysam and sweetlouise. These two woman have died of cancer and their friends and family have set up trust in their names to raise money for cancer research.

The reason this is intersting to me is that we have yet another woman in out library whanau recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She is young and her mother also works with us. As with the others of my colleagues who have had breast cancer, Kate is being totally amazing about the whole thing and is at work with her wig on serving the public for hours a day without batting an eyelid - she is smiling and caring and lovely. How does she find the energy for that?

I ask myself about why is takes such illness for the wonderfulness of people to be highlighted? Lots of lessons about judging and making assumptions for me in this. Even at my age I have been to too many funerals and a lot of them are not about old age but cancer. Not a happy note to start a new day and a new week but that's life.

No comments: