Thursday, October 01, 2009

Tsunami

I always feel extra sad when our little Pacific Islands experience a devastating event. With so many people with family in the islands and everyone in NZ going there for holidays, to me the islands feel part of our Pacific family. These countries are also so low in funds and resources that you just want to jump on a plane and do something to help. One of the devastated resorts in Samoa is where Jonty and I stayed on our way home from Europe in 2001. Coconuts Beach resort is very small and friendly and there we had the best ever fresh tuna sandwiches every day for our lunch. We spent the whole three days in the gecko shaped pool right by the beach. I spent my 38th birthday there. Now this is what it looks like. I hope no one died there although I suspect they did. To me this picture represents the devastation of the places and the people in Samoa. Can't imagine how terrible this is for people in NZ with families on the islands. Too sad.

2 comments:

. said...

Puts so much into perspective doesn't it? Why is it that those that can least afford it always get hit the hardest?
On another tangent...I loved the 10pm question too...have you read the T S Spivet book yet? Looks like a cracker, x

Sally said...

Hi Jus
I havent read the Spivet book but will put it on my list. Looks pretty out there but often those books are just enveloping. Glad the Tsunami didnt get you in the beach hut. We are vulnerable arent us coast dwellers?