Sunday, October 18, 2009

Just finished reading #23

Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Mmmmm, not sure where to start. I was recommended this to read by an online 'friend' and knew that it was a highly popular book with the bookgroup and Oprah crowd. As with all titles I commenced reading with an open mind. I like Liz's style of writing and being a writer you would expect a good range of tools in her writing tool kit.

As a book of self discovery I was a little bored with Liz's inner monologue, however, as a travel book I did enjoy it. I read some comments by some less charitable people that were mean about the self obsessed nature of the book. Hello, what do you think self discovery is about? It is about being selfish and self focused. Meditation, spirituality etc are all about that. However, the outcome of this is, effectively, better world citizens who, through their own self knowledge, are nicer kinder and more understanding people. In this world you can't have too much of that. So, I tolerated all of that and picked up a few bits and bobs along the way that might be useful.

I didn't LOVE the book and I didn't HATE it and am pleased I read it. I enjoyed being in Bali again and those passages brought back good memories of a trip Alex and I took there a loooong time ago. I also enjoyed re-visiting Rome. So, good on you Liz, on your journey and judging from the uptake of the book, lots of others enjoyed the journey too. It might be that some of us thought, how fantastic that you had an outlet to share your 'terrible experiences' and being able to escape the world to sort you shit out was a great luxury. So, in closing I would say this text had a bit of a polarising effect on me and many others it would seem. mmmmm. Thanks Jus, for the recommendation.
p.s. they are making a film of it staring Julia Roberts. I think I would go and see that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sal, maybe i'll give it another go with a more open mind to self indulgence... good point, that is the purpose of the book! Aahhhh Bali.... Saaalleeeee, great memories Ax