Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Asparagus tart and crunchy salad

As I was cleaning out the fridge tonight vainly looking for the source of a really ugly smell I devised a delicious dinner with the fix'ns I came upon. I just had to share. Excuse the photos. I am no food photographer.

Asparagus Tart
Filo pastry and butter

  • Parmesan - grated (about a handful)
  • Feta - leftovers
  • Light cream cheese - a spoonful or two
  • Lemon - some juice and some rind
  • Rocket - some
  • Pepper - fresh ground
  • Mint - a twist

Mix all those ingredients together and line along the filo in a pie dish...I used a very small one. On top, layer asparagus and use the butter from the filo to brush over. Cook and enjoy. I thought it a little salty but this is easily remedied by the choice and volume of cheese. The blend of mint, lemon, cheese and asparagus was stunning.

Crunchy salad
Knowing this was going to be a rich concoction, I threw together a crunchy salad which was better than I could have imagined

Mixed together with some lemon juice, mint and a touch of good quality mayo I assemble

  • Celery - about 4 sticks
  • Granny smith apple chopped
  • Red onion 1/4 - finely chopped
  • Fennel bulb - sliced
  • Lebanese cucumber - de-seeded
  • Feta - a little left over slice or two crumbled...
  • Yum and yum and yum some more.

No comments: