Sunday, September 27, 2009

Just finished reading #21

The 10pm Question - Kate DeGoldi

Read it, loved it!! On so many levels this a great book - not a 'hit you over the head, can't stop reading, rave ' book but lovely writing, good ending, nice reveal, great location. A mix of Wellington/ Christchurch and if you have lived in those cities you will get that. Kate grew up in my neck of the woods and our paths have crossed in numerous ways over the past 30 years and I think this adds a little extra 'aha' for me. Such a good story writer!!! You would know this from listening to her on National Radio. She just so 'gets' story and I so LOVE that. I think I might have cried a little bit near the end and it was not particularly sad. I love how good writers can do that through clever, subtle and insightful writing. Thanks Kate, loved it! If you don't love it like me then that is ok, chances are you might not, but I think it is worth a try.

Frankie is 12 and it is his story with little adult intervention - how do people do that? Get into other people lives and write with their voice? I guess if we could all do that then we would all be writers and life would be a little dull. I am thankful that the world is not full of sparrows and that all birds of all shapes are out there. The bird reference will come clear. Anyway, off now to partake in the Sunday morning ritual of obsessive cleaning in readiness for the OPEN HOME! Aargh, please someone buy our house, it is getting boring and all consuming and I have other things I need to be doing.

No comments: