Sunday, October 04, 2009

Week in reverse

It has been a really busy social week around here lately. It has been a very welcome diversion from endless house stuff I must say. In reverse....
500 Days of Summer. Popped out last night with Alex to catch this little gem. As Kate Roger said on 3Film, it is a 'a romance for real people, not just for believers in fairy tales'. It was appealing in its realness, no soft lighting or romantic swells of music. The soundtrack was fab. The characters were flawed and 'whats her name' the lead character was a bit naughty although forgivable when you think back to some of your own romantic misdemeanours. I also really enjoyed the depiction of LA as a real place and not Hollywood Boulevard. Loved my white chocolate and raspberry sorbet ice cream too.
Cricket - we have now entered the world of Saturday sport and much to my enjoyment I got to sit on the grass in the sun watching excited boys and girls learn cricket skills. topped off with a sausage in bread and a very excited child, I was a happy mummy.


Cookai - two nights in a row I got to taste the delights on offer at Cookai Japanese restaurant. John from Greymouth and Rachel texted on the road over to see if an early tea was a goer. Having just spent the day at home with Nic and his cousins I was ripe for an early evening outing. Having spent a very enjoyable evening at Cookai the night before with Karen, I was delighted to be able to suggest a well priced, authentic Japanese restaurant to my friends. Yum.


Kid fun - Taking annual leave to look after your child is one of the delights of full time work and parenthood. Long gone are the days of lying on beaches, shopping trips to Sydney and indulgence of any kind. I am not complaining. I had a great day hanging out with Nic, Olivia and Ben. I especially enjoyed our trip to the park where we played on the half basketball court with Anna and Karen who are in town and came to visit.
Birthday dinner (s) - Jonty turned 49 this week. Two days before the international day of the Older Person. Something I could have got a bit of fun out of but chose not to for some reason. Prior to his actual birthday we went out for another early family meal to the Belgium Beer Cafe and enjoyed and evening of delectable mussels, meat and potatoes in various forms. Great for my ever increasing waist line, NOT! Pudding too-creme brulee. I am a disgrace to all weight conscious women. Friend catch ups - afternoon play and chat with Steph, Frances and George. This included a bike ride on the road. Nic's first. Well done mate, very brave. Also on Sunday was a shared roast lamb dinner with stunning Jamie Oliver heart attack on a plate potato dish with Anne and Tim. Preceding that, on Saturday night, we had a family birthday celebration with Jonty's lot. Again, restraint played no part in the evening. We had spicy lamb and filo pie, pavlova, Paris breast, home made focaccia and wine. Lots. I know I gained a kilo last week. The eating was profound. However, the good cheer and time with friends and family far outweighs the extra tyre around my middle...almost...eek.
Back to reality. House cleaning and open homes.

1 comment:

Gill@Tikouka said...

What a week ! MMmmm some movies to see when they make it to Masterton .. yay. Having week off too and lots of kids visiting ...