Sunday, March 01, 2009

Just finished reading #12

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferThis novel is set in 1946 and written as an exchange of letters. They initially concern the perils of being a writer and the trouble success brings, but move on to Guernsey's occupation during the Second World War. The characters are interesting and well defined and Juliet the main writer and pivotal character is very charming in a slight unconventional way for the time I suspect. When Juliet decides to visit Guernsey and the characters finally become real for her, the impact on her own life is greater than she could have imagined. I loved the way, through the letters which seemed just friendly chats, the harsh reality of the German occupation were revealed. Being letters written by a wide variety of people you go great angles on everything and the picture or stories were rounded out this way. I like letter style books, I think they are clever.

I consumed this book in a few days and I just wanted to hangout on Guernsey and find out what happened.

No comments: