Saturday, February 07, 2009

Just finished reading #8,9,10 - Three New Zealand Books

Purely by coincidence I read three NZ books on the trot.

Firstly I read the All that glitters by Denise L'estrange-Corbett. Denise and her partner Francis are the brains and beauty behind the fantastic WORLD fashion brand. I have never owned a WORLD garment as I imagine they wouldn't fit and would cost a fortune, however I have always loved the clothes. The story is about Denise's life and includes chapters on her up bringing in London as well as her battle with depression. I enjoyed reading the book not because it was stunningly written but because you felt you just wanted to sit down with the author and listen to all those stories over a glass of wine. I thought for such a successful designer she was humble and very genuine. So, not the read of the century but very interesting for kiwi girls interested in fashion and a fellow kiwis experience of making a difference and having A LOT of fun.While we were staying at the bach this summer our neighbours invited us over for a lovely roast beef dinner on the deck. One of the other guests was Laurence Fearnley who is the cousin of our neighbour and happens to be a New Zealand novelist. Her real name is not Laurence but she goes under the name of Jura at the moment and might even change her name several more times in her life. Such is the life of a writer I am guessing. Anyway, she was very quiet and contemplative so I didn't get the chance to ask too many questions or get to know her very well but when I asked which of her novels I should read as a first, she suggested the Butler's Ringlet. So this is the novel I took on holiday with me. Judging by the cover this was not going to be the usual casual lying on the beach kind of read.
Butler's Ringlet is a very kiwi novel and is set deep in the farming land of Southland. It really is about friendship but breaches the seldom worn territory of male friendships/relationships in the super stoic world of farming. I really enjoyed it and kept sneaking back to the tent for a quick read. The language was lovely, could have been a bit self conscious as people are sometimes when being clever writers, but was not. The landscape, as is often the case in NZ literature, was a character in its own right. The female characters were peripheral in some ways but vital in others. I would say, ignore the cover and give it a go. Nothing like a dark dreary cover to turn off potential readers, unless of course most people love that look. Not me. I am drawn to reading some more of her work and I remember there is on of her titles in our book group box so I will search it out on Monday at our first gathering for the year.
Thirdly I flipped through a lovely slim book called 'How to look at a painting' by Justin Paton. It is part of a series of books written a few years ago on 'how to ... read a book' etc. At the time of writing Justin worked at the Dunedin Public Art Gallery, but now he works for the Christchurch Art Gallery and is consequently a colleague from the same 'group' that we operate under in the council. I had the privilege of hearing him talk one day and was totally hooked. He is a fantastic speaker, personality and art dude. Loved the book and hope to get my book group enthused about it on Monday as I bought it but no one has read it yet. However, it is only a book for people who like art, I think. Others might find it intolerably pretentious but it really isn't, it is a passionate opinionated (in a good way) thought provoking and interesting chat about paintings. Again, I loved and will be popping into the gallery today probably.

Justin is very pleasant to look at so I thought I would pop this picture in for the hell of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sal, lucky you meeting Laurence Fearnley, I read Edwin and Matilda last year and I loved it, again about life, loss and an unconvential relationship and set in Cental Otago. Really lovely book, not in the book box but well worth a read. Love Alex