Monday, February 02, 2009

One week

Hey there, home again safe and sound. We clocked up a massive 1,500 kms in the process. That didn't include my side trip to Hamilton earlier in the week. It is amazing how long a week can be.
The coffin Andy built for his dad with wood from David's old shed...see it did come in useful one day

It was good to be in Hamilton with the family celebrating the life of uncle David. Great to see everyone and be part of an historic family time. Ruth and Simon came up too as dad wasn't able to fly after his operation. The funeral, held at the Hamilton Cathedral, was very long and it was hot so I think he made the right decision to stay at home. My lovely Jonty did two five hour round trips in two days to drop me off and pick me up. Over the Takaka hill and the 15km of winding gravel roads included. What a star!!
Contemplative kayak boy

Toasting marshmellows with Kate and Grace
Totaranui was stunning this year. The weather gorgeous and the people really friendly. We went a week earlier than usual and found ourselves surrounded by big groups of families with pods of teenagers and mad bike riding pre-teens. The noise level was higher than we were used to and the level of activity around the place was also elevated. We settled into our camp and had a great time. Nic LOVED it. He was pink faced and excited the whole time and what a tan. All under layers and layers of sun block, might I add.
Grace's birthday party
We had a great time in our boat and I am very happy that we had it with us. We all got to use the ski biscuit and I learnt to drive the boat, reversing, lifting the motor and driving onto the trailer while Jonty backed it down the slipway. I loved learning a new skill. With the boat we were able to escape the big bay and camp up on the small beaches in the Awaroa Inlet and also round at Anapai our perennial favourite.
The bivouac Nic and I built at Awaroa Inlet
Nicholas has turned out to be a fantastic kayaker. He loves being in it and has mastered the twist in the paddle. He had other kids jumping on and off and happily spent hours puddling about in the water. This year he was at a whole level of confidence and skill. For the first time I think we had opportunities to actually sit back and relax and enjoy being on holiday. I guess it is all stages and phases.
On our last day our friends John and Angela turned up and luckily found a site near ours so we were able to indulge in some intense catch ups before we hit the road at lunchtime yesterday for our 8 hour journey home. It was great to see them and to see Alex and Nic having a nice time together.
Nic and Alex
I had a very strange conversation with a man who will remain nameless who was, I think, the most socially inept person I have met in ages and he is studying theology which concerns me as he might one day have to talk to people in an authoritative way. Anyway, having told me he had to go over the hill to buy a hat he then observed that me and my family were obviously hat people. Not sure why that was obvious but did say being a red head meant that I needed to wear a hat as a matter of course. To this he replied 'you could always dye it'!! Stunned, I suggested that I did not wear a hat to cover up my hair but to protect my fair skin. REALLY!! Then he yelled out to me across about 5-6m of beach 'Are you a believer?' Considering a previous conversation about his theology study I assumed he meant God. Having been at a funeral of a very devout person that week I didn't have an answer as I just don't know anything...so said 'I don't know'. He then grunted....'must be something in it - can't be made up'. It was appropriate for me at this point to mumble something about the need for a pain killer and off I trotted. THEN, the next day as we were packing up our tent/camp (a three hour job), his daughter came over and talked and talked and talked, played with Nic's stuff and followed me around. An odd child she was with a Forrest Gump kind of turn of phrase but harmless enough. What interested me was that I was sure her parents could see we were very busy and it was really hot. Anyway, said father wandered past and said 'thanks for looking after Mary' 'No worries' I said in utter disbelief at the sheer weirdness of some people. Surely him taking my son off my hands might have been kind and useful, never mind. I later witnessed his wife having a hissy at the smallest child in the family as she was being obstreperous and screaming and quite enjoyed that. Not sure why but I just did.
I love camping at Totaranui cos you never know who you are going to meet and what you are aging to see. The animals we encountered were varied from newly reintroduced Weka to a gorgeous black sting ray which cruised the shallows at low tide each day. Always with an entourage of children and adults with cameras. A penguin, a native hawk raiding another birds nest for tasty treats and lots of cicada malts- many of which came home with us in a container. We tickled kina and watched crabs being caught. All good beach fun.


So now, home on my last day of holidays I have been doing school things for Nic, stationery, shoes, stickers etc and got Georgie from the cattery, done many loads of washing and put on make up for the first time in ages. Life is almost back to normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about David and sad your Dad didn't make it. Good to hear about the funeral - thanks.
Gill