Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Just finished reading #5

Mudbound - Hillary Jordan

Now, I don't normally read books that upset me as I get really wound up about things like abuse and racism but this book is in our book group and was recommended so I read it. I did enjoy it but have to admit that I skipped the passages of the worst bits of the abuse. It is like covering your eyes at the scary bits in a movie. However, I did enjoy it and found it an easy read and thought the characters were believable if not all likable. Good holiday read.
Here is the synopsis from the book
'It is 1946 and city-bred Laura McAllan is trying to raise her children on her husband's Mississippi Delta farm - a place she finds foreign and frightening. In the midst of the family's struggles, two sons return from the war to work the land. Jamie McAllan, Laura's brother-in-law, is everything her husband is not - charming, handsome, and haunted by his memories of combat. Ronsel Jackson, eldest son of the black sharecroppers who live on the McAllan farm, has come home with the shine of a war hero. But no matter his bravery in defence of his country, he is still considered less than a man in the Jim Crow South. It is the unlikely friendship of these brothers-in-arms that drives this powerful novel to its inexorable conclusion. The men and women of each family relate their versions of events as they see them, and we are drawn into their lives as they become players in tragedy on the grandest scale'


2 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sally: I can't find a My World post. Please read the rules and make a proper post then you can relink. Visit some of the post and you will see what is required.
FG/My World team

Sally said...

Sorry about that. I thought I did something wrong. Will take some time and then get on with it. Cheers fishing guy.