Thursday, December 04, 2008

Caramel

Last night Alex and I went to see the Lebanese film 'Caramel'. I had no idea what it was about which is a preferred state for me as I like the unfolding of a story and don't want to have too many preconceived notions of what I am about to see. Anyway, the story was set in a beauty shop and centred around the lives of 5 women of various ages all on some personal journey or other. I love traveling through the movies and the Beirut in the film was scruffy and interesting. What I thought was most interesting was the religious diversity and inter generational expression of this, also the language was a Lebanese French hybrid, not surprising as the French did colonise Lebanon, a fact that I am ashamed to say, I did not know previously. The 'Caramel' is what the women use to 'wax' and had all kinds of symbolism around it but was not over stated. I thought the film was gentle, sweet and subtle and a really liked it.

No comments: