Monday, March 10, 2008

There is something about March

Before Nicholas came along I never even noticed March. The only memory I have of the whole month was 7 March was Tax day for some group. But now March really is a focus on my yearly calendar. Firstly and so obviously, it is Nic's birthday - on the 7th. All of a sudden I realised how lovely March is around that time. It is still warm but the baking heat of summer has left and it is warm but fresh. The sky is so very blue and the water at the beach and the river not so cold.
Yesterday after a week of parties and 5 cakes! We headed for the beach. We were there early as the weather forecast indicated a cold Southerly coming through at about noon. The water was fresh (a euphemism for very tingly and a bit headachy), the surf was perfect and there were only hardy families camped out on the beach.I caught some of my best waves of the season and did some very enjoyable bobbing. The waves were so perfect that I just launched in at the perfect moment and was picked up and shot forward. No frantic arm swimming to get in the wave and no dumping with spine bending strength. Just perfect. I saw a guy about my age trying to catch waves on his boogie board, to little effect. I wanted to tell him 'It doesn't get any easier than this mate' but thought better of it. He and I were the only people in the water without wetsuits so big ups for that. Nic clung like a limpet around my neck as we tackled some waves together. Really is time for swimming lessons for him.
Jonty and Nic went hunting for creatures in the rock pools and discovered a very large crab in the defensive nipper flailing pose and left him alone, '100's of sea anemone', catseyes and Jonty got stung by a wasp on the back of his neck' Very brave my Jonty - didn't utter a word other than ' mmm stings a bit'. We kept an eye on that little spot all day but he seems ok.

Back home we cleaned up the detritus from Nic's birthday party and had a visit from my folks. Nic dressed up in his school uniform to show them and we all were a bit misty I think, looking at that baby of mine cute as a button and ready for school. All the books, bag, clothes and boxes are labeled to within an inch. Fresh baking in the tins and everything just so for the big day today. Nic is starting to worry a bit about it all but he will be fine.

Another great thing about March besides the calm warm weather is Nic's birthday. With only one small child it is a perfect opportunity to go mad and put heaps of time and effort in to everything about the party. Leaving two pre-schools, having a small family gathering and a kids party, I baked 5 cakes last week and made a lot of icing. Phew!
The weather was perfect on Saturday and all the little ones arrived gorgeous in party frocks...the girls...and tidy and combed ... the boys. With most of the children from different parts of Nic's busy life, there was a little awkwardness at first but once the trampoline was spotted and the new birthday castle inside and the crafty craft table everything just took off. Food was dispensed, lemonade and juice also plus the revealing of a huge pile of m and m's in the volcano on the cake and all the children were in heaven. Lovely to have all my friends there too with their children.

Before Nic I used to think the year ended in February...the end of summer...and didn't start again until November. Now I know that March is really just an extension of summer and the best kept secret month of the year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me misty too - five years has just flashed past. More mist knowing I will be in the same boat next year. Lovely blog and lovely time with you. Enjoy these special 'new' days won't you.... K.xx.

WRITING MOMMY said...

Takes me back to when my son was joining kindergarten and pranced around in his new uniform for a whole hour before agreeing to take it off. I was in tears, my mum was in tears...*sigh*...and in three months, he'll go into the first grade. My baby's growing up and it scares me no end! Enjoy the baby moments. :)