Thursday, March 13, 2008

Empathy

'Lemmiwinks is dead and in a box' said the text from Jasmine. It was all I could do to stop myself crying about a little cat I have never met. I think my sadness was for Jasmine, her first grown up pet which she loved, died at the wheel of car. Still a kitty really. Jonty and she talked on the phone and then Nic wanted to ring and talk about the demise of the cat. This morning he and I were talking face to face about the phone call and I said 'I feel so sad' and Nic said 'I feel sad I for her. I feel sorry for her'. From my child who has never felt sad or sorry for anyone before this was an amazing utterance and indication that he does have empathy for others. Warmed my heart to know this. Out of others sadness comes a little ray of light...selfish of me to find this in Jasmine's sadness. Sorry Jasmine

3 comments:

WRITING MOMMY said...

Children always surprise us with their insight at the most expected moments, don't they? A reminder that they're growing up. (Why so fast!)

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. Actually, I'm Indian and I now live in Bangalore after wandering all over the country (and a bit outside it) for many years. :) This is my home. I used to be a journalist and now I do other stuff (long story).

Please do continue to drop in when you have time. It's always nice to share with Moms. Can I put in a link to your blog on mine? Tks

Anonymous said...

Oh, RIP Lemmiwinks, you look utterly gorgeous and so loved. Did this happen after our chat today S?

Sally said...

Wednesday I think. Poor Jasmine. Distraught but handled so very maturely in the end. Had to make a big decisoin about spending mega bucks or the alternative. Hard decision.