Thursday, February 17, 2011

Just finished reading #39 & 40

Well, I would have to say that it has been the slowest and dullest reading summer for many years.  I just can't seem to get really excited about anything in particular.  Besides the Lee Child page turner in early January, I have only finished two books since then.  Sadly I have started quite a few more.  So all I have is a re-cap of the two finished items .In an unusual and very enjoyable twist, Jonty read fiction this summer and I tackled non-fiction.

Only two seats left - John Anderson (non fiction)
This is the story of Contiki, not a style of traveling I have experienced yet but an interesting story non the less.  We all love a tale of adventure and endeavour, especially that of a fellow Kiwi.  I enjoyed this read as the life of a company as well as a man.  It is not fantastically written but the story is interesting and fun.  I would love to be a person who gets an idea and puts it into practice and grows something fantastic out of it.  However, I don't think I am one of those people so love reading about people who have the drive and ambition to take the risks.   How all the ideas were developed and the lessons learned was  fascinating and I enjoyed reading it on holiday.  John Anderson is a good guy.


While in the holiday mood I decided to tackle another Nicky Pellegrino novel.  Having really enjoyed Recipe for life last year, I had high expectations of The Gypsy Tea Room and I was left a little wanting.  I could see what Nicky was trying to do and it wasn't a horrible book but it just didn't spin my wheels.  It is set in Italy in a lovely little hill town in modern times but it is a town with some old fashioned values.  The main character Raffealla is gorgeous and widowed so she is a no go zone.  Sent off to the big house to cook and clean for the visiting Americano ...you get the picture.  HOWEVER, to the book's credit, it does not end the way you are thinking.  It has a lovely ending and in hindsight there are some lovely characters.  As I was reading it I kept thinking, 'I can see where the author got her idea for the next book'.  So, an ok read if you are fast and can spare a week for a light read.


I have picked up the recent Armstead Maupin, an author I probably haven't read for about about 20 years...and it is ok, but I will save that till I have finished.  I have a couple of goodies on the pile which I can't wait to read.

No comments: