Friday, February 18, 2011

Just finished reading #41

Mary-Anne in Autumn  Armistead Maupin

I have been a fan for many years but I am guessing it would be at least 10 years since I read one of his books.  Sometimes when you go back to an author you find that the thing you liked about them was the time and place you were in yourself and what this person represented and a revisit is not as fulfilling as you thought it might be.  this is what I thought as I was about 50 pages through but as the book continued I realised the characters and story just crept up on me and enveloped me.
This book is part of a long drawn out series called Tales of the City.  The characters appear in various strengths in each book.  I loved the way all the characters had a chapter and then they start intertwining.  And there are gay and straight and young and old in there.  Set in San Fransisco in an interesting community of trans and gay and straight friends of a range of ages all on a quest for discovery of some sort.  Acceptance, closure and sex and so on.  A nice easy and warm read.

No comments: