Friday, April 30, 2010

Just finished reading #33

Recipe for Life - Nicky Pellegrino

I am not normally drawn to these kinds of books but I would have to say I really really enjoyed immersing myself in the world of Southern Italy, gardens and busy restaurants.  This is just the kind of book to help you get out of your own head and enjoy a romantic journey.  When I say romantic I am using a small 'r'. The kind of romance that sets your mind wandering to travel, warm water, delicious food and interesting and yes steamy people.  The story is told from the point of view from Alice the main protagonist and Babetta, a lovely old woman her neighbour in Italy.
The plot is not amazing but the characters and setting take care of that.  I wont go into it because it could ruin it for anyone wanting to read it.  If you want a really good beach read as winter sneaks up on us, transport yourself to Italy.  Finally, I enjoyed reading a book that didn't have any tension or menace, a nice change.  Thanks Alex for buying it for bookgroup.

1 comment:

. said...

Sounds perfect... I've noticed of late that our bookclub has become a little competitive with the last 3 bookbuyers all striving to buy 'poetic', 'articulate','visual' reads. Sometimes all you want is an easy, satisying book moment, x