Thursday, December 31, 2009

Two movies in two days

...it must be holidays.  I could go to the movies everyday so getting the chance to indulge two days in a row is pretty blissful.

Firstly, Sherlock Holmes...
Loved it.  I am not a huge fan of the books and perhaps have let myself down a bit but denying myself the chance to enjoy the subtle brilliance that Arthur CD has developed in his character.  Holmes is a total geek and I would have to say I thought the movie version was brilliant.  Definately sexed up for the 21st C and probably lacking in integrity for the perfectionist but who cares?  I loved the pace, the detail of the set, the action and adventure, the relationship between Holmes and Watson and did I mention the stunningly gorgeous Robert Downey Jnr is Holmes?  I melt at the very sight of that man.  Although weather beaten and wrinkled he is still a gorgeous man.  Aside from my misguided love of a movie star, the film was just bloody good fun.  It was dark and mysterious and you can see the hand of Guy Ritchie in the direction with lots of gorgeous stuff happening.  Can't wait for the sequel.  Thanks to Jonty for choosing it.


Last night Alex and I got together to enjoy Julie and Julia.  What a sweet film.  I know some have said it wasn't 100% acurate in the portrail of events but it was lovely.  I went home and Googled it and visited the blog and even thought about making a few of the recipes although I am not a huge fan of traditional French cooking.  I like Amy Adams for her down to earth qualities and anything with Meryl Streep is a winner.  She was great.  Loved the love story of her and Paul, whether that was accurate or not, it was charming.  I suspect it was totally accurate.  I think I might have to persue some of her books.  I am sure I am not the only one.  Another good holiday film.  Felt excited to be out and about and in the imaginary world for a few hours.

3 comments:

Gill@Tikouka said...

yup - saw Sherlock Holmes - I agree with your summation. Loved the relationship between the two boys ! We saw it on our 9th Wedding anniversary the other night - in Invercargill !

Sally said...

wow, nine years. I cant believe that. I always think of you and Andrew as 'new'. I guess none of us are new any more. Look forward to seeing you later in the month.

ajam00 said...

I saw Julie and Julia with my sister. The movie sparked a desire to cook in us. It also turned me on to the wonderful world of blogging.