Sunday, September 06, 2009

A day for the dads

We scooped up the dads today and headed for Wainui on Banks Peninsula.It had been years since any of us had been there so it was a tiny adventure. Pretty typical of the Peninsula bays it was quiet and very pretty. My mother in law Philippa lived there at some period of her life so it was nice for Jonty to go back and check it out. My dad spent many many summers of his youth at the YMCA camp there so again, nice for him to revisit.
We were delivered a stunning warm spring day and all loved basking in the sun, jumping the boat or playing on the beach. My nod to fathers day was making exclusively Jonty requested treats for the picnic. This included homemade apple turnovers and potato salad. I have been off cooking for a few months but enjoyed getting my hands dirty. Baking, on the other hand, is something I do about 2 or 3 times a week. Mellow balls, apple turnovers, orange cupcakes, date loaf and roast lamb have kept me very busy in the kitchen this weekend.

No comments: