Thursday, September 17, 2009

Just finished reading #20

The Angel's Cut - Elizabeth Knox


Having loved the Vintner's Luck I fell upon the Angel's Cut in the hope of rekindling the love I had for Xas only to be a tiny bit disappointed. He has changed. Still lovable but a little lost to me as a reader. I really enjoyed the bits about him and loved the last 100 pages where I got what I wanted out of the story.
I sometimes wonder why I can't get the hang of some books and wonder if I am just hopeless and distracted being so slow or that some writers have a hidden monologue in their heads that doesn't quite hit the page.

Set in the 1920's - 30's in California the story is set around stunt flying and the movies. The story revolves around Flora a burnt and scared film editor (a lovely character) and Xas whose wings have been cut off by Lucifer his brother. The only way he can get to fly is on planes, standing on the wings to get that real buzz an angel needs. Of course he is fearless as he cannot die. There are a bunch of other characters including two people whose names are so nearly the same that I kept forgetting which one was which.

The story rumbles through the interesting time of silent through to talking films, prohibition, early hints of the war and so on. I thought the writing was good and inventive but I found the story a little distracted...or was that me? Although Xas has changed, he is still lovable and we get to see some new and tender sides of his personality.

No comments: