Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Just finished reading #19

On top of everything - Sarah-Kate LynchI don't read a lot of light stuff. I guess belonging to a bookgroup where lots of lovely books are bought and having pedestrian reading habits(as in very slow), I am destined to twist it up a notch in the serious reading department. However, I have squeezed in a fun read this week and found it really relaxing and enjoyable. I have read all of S-K's books and you get what you expect. Slick easy to read stories with flawed but lovable lead women, a gorgeous soft centred bloke and a raft of other characters ranging from the eccentric to very annoying.

A tea house, divorce, marriage, cancer (or the measles as it is referred to), mad parents and that is about it. As a formula this seems to work well for Sarah-Kate and it is fun to know that not all New Zealand writers are worthy and serious. That sentence could offend many writers on both sides of the fence. I hope the NZ literaty don't spend too much time on the Internet 'Googling' themselves. New Zealand is a small country and everyone knows a writer...I am sure. Or perhaps that is just library types. Anyway, I digress.

Bugger, I have forgotten the lead characters names already. Anyway, she was bloody annoying and so stubborn and silly that I wanted to slap her silly face around about page 350 but she redeemed herself and let herself be rescued and cared for by the most unlikely to her but predictable to us, character.

Sounds like I didn't enjoy this book but I did. It was easy to read, funny, tiny bit formulaic, had a food theme (love that), and a jolly pleasant read.

No comments: