Sunday, August 09, 2009

Just finished reading #17

Careless in Red - Elizabeth George
The girl who plays with Fire - Stieg Larsson

Not really just finished but just remembered I had finished reading these two books. Both are huge and both are mysteries or some other descriptive word for murder hunts. I read the Elizabeth George because my mates at work love her. I obviously started at the wrong end of her writing career. I read 265 pages in agony and then just flicked to the last 20 to see what happened. I know you that you need lots of characters and multiple motives to make a detective novel any good but Elizabeth needs to work much more closely with her editor. Say no more.

Moving on to Stieg. Everyone who reads these books loves them. I read this with veracity and had to slow myself down so that I could live in his world for as long as possible. It is violent, frightening and sickening in some places but the characters are compelling and diverse. It is about sex trafficking and a stuff and I am not going to go into all that as it is really complex. however, if you want a good synopsis go here

So go to the library to get this book. You will love it.
I have book group at my place next month and have no thoughts about what I should buy. All suggestions welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of suggestion for the book club:
"light and frothy " which make you actually laugh out loud,try Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.
For " crime and atmospheric" ,try Henning Mankell's Wallender series. The scenery descriptions draw you in.
Or "humanity desruction" from cold war thriller stuff, try Tom Rob Smith's Child 44.

Sally said...

Thank you anonymous for your suggestions. I will put them on my list. Cheers S

Lu said...

oops, still getting the hang of this , and didnt realise i had been anonymous. Cheers Lu.