Friday, October 24, 2008

Secret

Wow, I am half a day through a special day. A day of annual leave all to myself. I have discovered the secret of 'at home' mothers and now I know why they would never want to go back to work. I am, of course assuming that most are at home because they can afford it and that shopping is part of the package. So far today I have dropped Nic at school and chatted to his teacher about her upcoming trip to Europe and North Africa. Sounds like bliss. Then I had to pop home to get Nic's lunch box which I had forgotten. It is not normally my job to fill the backpack so missed it. No problem though, nothing to rush off to so popped home and back to school for the delivery.
Then I took myself off to a lovely cafe near home (Piccolo) which I had heard about but not had time to get to. While I drank a fantastic smooth and entirely delicious (Underground Coffee) long black, I flicked through the pages of the latest URBIS magazine which I normally try to read for work but seldom get to. Got to have a brief conversation with a couple eating breakfast together. While sitting there I sent off a few txt's. Then realising I didn't have the credit card I called Jonty and popped over to his work to pick it up. No problem, nothing to rush to.

After a quick visit, kiss and cuddle with my darling I popped out to the French Bakery to pick up some pizza bases for flatbreads I am making for an Italian pot luck dinner we are hosting tomorrow night. While there I whipped out to Aramunga to get some bunches of gorgeous cream and red roses. Lovely! Couple of mothers there with small children enjoying the space and the lovely flowers.While I was out Ferrymead way I thought I would pick up a mask for the masquerade ball I am going to at the LIANZA conference next week. What fun I had trying all the masks on. No hurry, nowhere to go. What a pleasant experience. I also popped into the stunning Casual and Country design store. Being surrounded by stunning Designer Guild fabrics stimulated my senses and I left having spent no money but feeling very calm and happy.
From there I popped to the Mediterranean Warehouse to pick up some amaretti biscuits and then cruised home to make a lovely Ricotta and raspberry trifle type thing for the Italian dinner party. While in the kitchen I whipped up a batch of biscotti and some bright yellow lemon curd. Threw a couple of loads of washing on the line as well as listened to some entertaining and interesting things on National Radio.

Right now I am listening to Shona Laing chatting away. Might make myself a lovely sandwhich for my lunch. Loving this day. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to give up my job but now I know why 'at home' mothers walk around with relaxed looks on their faces and are a little smug as they congregate in cafes after dropping the kids off at school. They have a secret and it is all about having time to themselves. I have achieved in one morning things that would probably take me about a week of dashing from place to place getting what I need, baking at 9 o'clock at night and not spending time with my boys to achieve. I wonder what the afternoon holds. I think it will be forshortend with the school pick up only about 1.5 hours away. No worries, no rush, no where to be.

Please note: This is not meant to be offensive to my 'at home mother' friends and I know it gets lonely and boring sometimes but really, the good times are really good, especially when the sun is out.

2 comments:

Gill@Tikouka said...

Redefinition needed - at home mothers whose kids are at school or daycare all day !! Not those at home with preschoolers and babies !! Glad to hear you had a lovely day.

Sally said...

Hi Gill. Definately agree with you about the distinction between at home mothers of pre-schoolers and the others. Totally different kettle of fish. X S