Sunday, October 26, 2008

Just finished reading #2

I managed to finish two books today. Reasons? Sunday is my 'sleep in' day and combined with a late night last night for Nic it meant no movement in the house until 8am. With sleet, rain and hail lashing the windows I felt well within my rights to lie in bed for a couple of hours reading. Jonty and Nic were up and the fire was on slowly warming the house.

I completed what I call a 'sorbet' book. The one you read between two weighty books. Something to clear the palette, light and refreshing. Today I laughed my way through the final chapters of 'Fearless fourteen' by Janet Evanovich. I have read all but one of the previous 13 titles....I skipped 13 as I just couldn't face the sameness of the stories. However, 14 was a bit more interesting and funny to boot. So that was my sorbet.I also managed to read another in its entirety which was pretty easy considering there were lots of recipes and travel notes - well written and sweet. 'The cookbook tour' by Flip Grater, whom I mentioned in my last 'George and Helen' entry, was the perfect quiet Sunday read. I did get very peckish reading it and had to stop and make butter bean fritters for lunch just to get through the book. Not a recipe in the book but a made up one seeing as there was no corn in the house. Met with great approval from the blokes so was a good attempt. Made a salad thing to go with it to provide a bit of crunch and semblance of healthy eating. Flip toured NZ solo in her Lada called 'Lada' to play a few gigs and decided to use the tour as an opportunity to collect some vegan and veggie recipes along the way. Consequently the book is an interesting combo of a road trip, musings of a muso and cookbook lover. Perfect for a cold Sunday.
I love libraries because when you get someone into your head, like Flip, you can go online and reserve the book, the album and whatever else you can find and continue the tiny obsession for a little longer. I am about to start another book but haven't decided what yet so will get back to you on that.

Now the sun is out and the boys are gone for a few hours so after reading on and off during the day, it is time to get stuck into the ironing pile. Ahh reality!

No comments: