Saturday, January 16, 2010

Just finished reading #29

Bleeding Hearts - Susan Wittig Albert



My little secret and 'sorbet' subject is female detectiove novels.  These babies, I imagine, seldom turn up in bookgroups and never thought of as great literature.  However, they are really fun to read.  People who read them often have a few different detectives whom they follow.  I have three - Kinsey Milhone - Sue Grafton.  I have U is for Undertow on order at the library.  China Bayles - Herbalist and ex attorny living in Pecan Springs, Texas and Stephanie Plum (not strictly a detective).  Being a follower, you get to know the characters, the location and get a real feel for the culture and geography of the area.  I really enjoyed Bleeding Hearts for its mixture of small town characters, herbal facts and stories and the secondary side stories. The misadventure all relates to the heart - bleeding and bruised so a nice theme thing going on.   However, I can't get my head around what China Bayles looks like because there is a giant photo of the the author on the back in her giant 80's glasses and that image eclipses any vision I have of China and makes the sexy bits REALLY hard to imagine.  Good palate clearing reading before I tackle my next dark tale.

No comments: