Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Just finished reading #28

Legend of a suicide - David Vann

Literally the nano-second I finished this book I had to Google it ot find out what the hell I was reading.  I spent the latter half of the book rather confused although I was enjoying the writing, if that makes sense.    Turns out the book is actually five separate stories with essentially the same characters.  You can imagine my confusion when once dead people were alive again.  Anyway, the stories really are about Roy and his father's suicide.    It was a bit morbid but not really as the stories were more the 'man alone' style of writing.  Life is what it is and that is it and being set in the wilds and small towns of Alaska the enviornment or setting contribute to that sense of alonenes, escape and wilderness.  Fishing and boats and Hemmingway, if you know what I mean?  I enjoyed reading this book for some reason and found it compelling.  Nice for a change if you don't read these types of books all the time.  Good.

No comments: