Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thank the Lloyd

Another great NZ thingy on Saturday night for the stay at homes. Last week it was the hugely impressive Ron Brierley. This week it was Lloyd Geering talking about God and Christianity and a few other bits and pieces.

I just loved listening to him talking about his 9 theories or beliefs regarding God and all that stuff. To me, he was the voice of reason. However, Chris at work thought he was the heretic he was tried for being. John and I agreed on some of his thoughts and that in itself is unusual. Unfortunately we had to stop the conversation as I could see we were heading down a rocky road. However, I think a very worthwhile programme with some great ideas. I can see why the Presbyterians had conniptions in 1967 as his ideas would have been pretty challenging back then. Looking at the footage of the time, I wondered what my Granny would have thought of him.
Anyway, if you are interested in finding out more about this guy, check out his stuff at the library here. I love a little scholarly romp of a Saturday evening and my mind was so energised by the challenges of what he was saying, I found it hard to sleep.
Margaret Mahy is on this weekend and we love her. Being an ex-librarian (who worked at CCL) and an author of immense talent, it should be very good. Mind you, I will be interested to see if there is anything in this programme that I don't already know about her. I once had the pleasure of sitting next to her at a casual dinner and she was bloody great. An unforgettable meal for me. Will have to have a chat about her next week.


One more thing....Karen sent me some pics from a trip we did to Punakiki in 2005 and here is the one that I almost cried over....can't believe my rowdy little ball of screaming energy was once this angelic little cherub...I just want to pinch those chubby little cheeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://nz.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BA1273B1BAB3B174

Anonymous said...

Oh, you posted the Nic pic! What a lovely wee surprise seeing him (and my name, lol). Thanks Sal..K.xx.