Saturday, January 26, 2008

A tall long-faced tale

Another busy week at work has sapped my brain for writing in the old blog and I have no lovely images to share of my week either. But by the end of writing this I am sure I will be inspired to search out some.However, a tired Saturday morning entry might get me energised for a more interesting post later in the day. Continuing my theme of New Zealanders of note tucked away in weird places on TVNZ on Saturday nights, I watched Margaret Mahy last week. One of the "NZ Festival' cluster. A Tall Long-Faced Tale - Margaret Mahy, by director Yvonne McKay. Into the live action world of Margaret Mahy, one of New Zealand's most celebrated writers, enter 3D animated characters from her books, to interview her on her innermost private feelings and views, alongside writer Elizabeth Knox.
What a fantastic woman!! Although probably considerably odd for her time, she is the most eloquent storyteller. Whether talking about her life or the those of her characters she just somehow seems to have a unique way of using the English language. I guess that is the essence of any good or great writer so I am obviously not expressing myself that well....the sign of a not good writer. Anyhooo, the woman was a joy to listen to and watch...serenity, passion, mana.
I especially loved the creative way the programme used her characters to interact with the writer. Elizabeth Knox a particularly strange woman, was not the best interviewer and could be described as wooden, however, I saw the attempt at the intimacy of one writer interviewing the other as a considered idea.

Having read most of MM's teen novels, I can highly recommend them to anyone wanting a good read. I like the mystical aspect of them and rest assured we are not talking mystical in the unicorn sense. I am about to embark on '24 hours' after I have finished 'Run' by Ann Patchett, who wrote 'Bel Canto' - another fantastic book.

No comments: