Saturday, September 08, 2007

Webb Ellis Goofy

I have to admit that I am a closet rugby head and was up this morning watching the opening ceremony and the first game...Argentina (17) v France (12). I can see that I am going to get right in to this tournament and I REALLY want the All Blacks to win. Get annoyed with all the hype and blah blah but it is all good fun really.

My take on the game, for what it is worth. France played crap and Argentina deserved to win. They played strong defensive rugby and were relentless in their drive. Big buggers, great tacklers and passion. Loved the tears during the anthems. One exciting try from a turnover. Some good kicking but overall it was a grunt game. Heaps of blood, a visible lack of ball skills and fitness not that great. Watching this game, my first for a long time, you can see the difference in styles of rugby and I would have to say the Polynesian game is far more exciting and interesting to watch. I am probably biased though.

Also, what is with all the hair? The French guy with the beard and long hair, not tied up??? He could have been scalped or his hair could have flicked across someones eye and cut it...happens you know. I bet the chicks would never be able to play with their hair flailing all over the place.

Oh yes, the title of this entry. Teaching Nicholas from scratch about a) rugby and b) the world cup, has meant many many clarifying questions. One being the name of the trophy...The Webb Ellis Goofy. Kids are so cute.

No comments: