Sunday, September 16, 2007

Mixing it up

I am loving the rugby. I am loving the fact that England scored a big fat zero and Georgia only finished 4 points behind Ireland. Georgia has 300 adult rugby players and eight grounds. Ireland is considered the sixth best team in the world.

You just can't tell what is going to happen next. I don't think the big teams are playing that well and I am thinking that must be about the need to have good competition to push you to play your best. Watching the All Blacks slaughter the Portuguese was not actually any fun. Being a nation that supports the underdog, I am sure we are all thrilled to see 13 points on the board for the best amateur team in the world. The Portuguese win the award for most enthusiastic anthem singing.

I think the TV3 team are starting to get better at their commentary and it is a hoot watching Merts trying to be serious while Ali Williams is giving him heaps. I think Merts should just be funny.

Mixing it up..made my first batch of cupcakes today. Wondering what the big deal is, I went to my many and varied food websites and checked out my cookbooks and found a delicious sounding recipe of which all the ingredients were lounging in the fridge and pantry.

Here it is - Donna Hay's Patty Cakes (as the call them in Aussie) - I finished mine with zesty lemon and butter icing. They are like sweet cakey muffins and they last for days. I shared mine with Joan when Nic and I went to see her lovely new home.

Patty Cakes

1 1/2 Cups self raising flour
2/3 cup caster sugar
155g butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 milk
1tsp vanilla extract

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and beat until they are well mixed (I softened the butter). Continue to beat until mixture is light and creamy. Spoon the mixture in to patty cases in tins to about 3/4 full. Bake in a preheated 180 degree oven for 20 minutes or until cakes are golden and cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool. There are lots of ways to serve these but you will work that out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sally

We have known for the last 2 years that NZ are going to win the World Cup and England will be lucky to reach the semis. Those who play the most attractive rugby (ball in hand, at speed, with passion) deserve to be on top of the pile.

Guy
Leicester
UK