Saturday, October 21, 2006

simplicity

Well, I started on the simplicity road by putting some clothes on 'trade me' to get them out of my life and to try and help me get some funds to buy new ones. Doing this meant that I had to face the fact that I have some gorgeous clothes that I will never fit again, or by the time I do, they will be no longer appealing. That was the first tiny step. Another big step was leaving my old work for the last time last night. Heading for a new job, clean slate, empty office. Here's hoping for a simpler life.

What not to wear... when I was in Warworth with Karen we went to a WNTW evening at the Mahurangi Hall. What a fun night. Jackie O'Fee from Signature style in Auckland entertained and educated us about style and image. I took notes ...

Women who have style or are stylish


  • interpret fashion in to their look - they aren't slaves to fashion but pick out bits that suit them
  • are not scared to change their image...keep updating hair styles and make up - good advice, I think
  • know what works for them, what looks good, which colours suit
  • know their best feature and work it!
  • are well groomed - nails, makeup etc
  • remember the details - shoes should match an outfit etc
  • are confident
  • don't spend a lot of money - they know where to shop.
This session was one of the prompts to get me to take a good hard look at my miserable 'wearable' wardrobe and get things out of there. So now I am working out how to proceed. What not to wear actually.

SALE! A word I love. The lovely Jackie discussed the traps that we fall into when we see that word emblazoned on any clothing shop window. I sat there cringing and mentally ticking off all those sale bargains languising in my wardrobe. In fact I have so many there is no room for the clothes I do wear. Tragic.
Anway...here are Jackie's tips . 3 questions to ask yourself when you spot that bargain
1. Would I buy this full price?
2. What will it work with?
3. Do I love it?

Keep a sale list of items that aren't must but wants and would be good to pick up in a sale...ski suit perhaps.

Other tips
Throw stuff out - but keep your designer one offs
Read fashion magazines - 'Simply You' and the Aussie 'InStyle' were recommended because clothes are not on models.

BUY STUFF YOU LOVE!

Change - is the seed of growth

No comments: