Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Decoration

Buying interiors magazines adn books is becoming an expensive addiction lately.  Luckily I have the wonderful Christchurch City Libraries at my fingertips.  To complement my study I am trying to find my style.  This is surprisingly harder than I expected.  You tend to know what you like but if you were to start a house from scratch and make it everything you wanted (within a realistic budget) it would be much harder than you think.  So much depends on the materials and size of your home, your budget, and who you live with.  When I flick through the magazines and books I realise I am going to need about 5 houses on the go at once to incorporate all the things I love.  There is beachy casual, vintage chic, warehouse funky, cosy cottage, ethnic, eclectic, Pacific cool, urban chic and so on.    Instead I could become a designer/decorator and do everyone elses houses.  That is the long term plan.  Finding enough people who want to challenge the norm and be free and fearless is not so easy I suspect. 

In the meantime I am going to continue to drool over the books and the free spirit of others fearless designs.  Here are a few books I have been paging through recently..
Susanna Salk has gathered together the best ideas of other peoples in her book 'Be your own decorator'.   She focuses on Colour, Whimsey, Accessorizing and Rule breaking.  This book is rich pickin's for every kind of interior design except perhaps for neutral on neutral on 'resale'...two things I don't understand.  Bland to live in but great to look at and designing your house for someone else to live in when you sell it in 10 years time.  what the??




No comments: