Sunday, August 26, 2012

On the Road

Read the book, got the tee shirt, now seen the movie

I loved the book, wrote essays about it at uni.  Loved its madness and I am not sure I understood it all.  My dear friend Karen bought me the t-shirt and I still own it.  The classic Penguin books version still sits in my drawers 20 years down the track.  I do believe  I was wearing it on the day we got engaged.  So, when the movie wound up on the International Film Festival programme I had to get a ticket.

I loved the film.  It was true to the book and did explain some stuff.  I loved that the theatre was full of old people who obviously lived a little during the time and felt some connection to the material.  At the end of the film most people just sat still for some time.  It was so intense and indulgent.   Jonty and i have continued to discuss the themes in the film all week so it has provided us with some ongoing enjoyment.  Not for everyone I guess but perfect for me.

No comments: