Saturday, August 18, 2012

Family

Life is a funny thing, death not so much.  But so much to be learned from doing it well.  I had the privilege of spending a weekend with my darling Swinney/Thompson family as we experienced the death of our dear Elizabeth and then the amazing swift journey in funeral planning and departure.

Having been given the instruction to come up to Masterton for a farewell and celebration combo Ruth and I found ourselves arriving at a wake.  Our dear Liz passed away on Friday afternoon in the company of her family, including our parents.  We missed the final farewell but were warmly included in the planning and grieving over the next 2.5 days. 

Spending time crying, talking, coffin painting and eating a lot was very cathartic and special.  I know that everyone will have plenty of other times to grieve and miss Liz but starting that journey in such a warm and loving environment was special to us all.

It is not often that you have a couple of vicars and an undertaker in a family but how perfect it was to have a real family affair.  I had the special privilege of helping my cousin Gill and Lisa dress her mother & mother in law respectively.  My first dead body and it was ok.  Of course I cried but who wouldn't? 

What I learned among other things, was that the deep faith that some people have takes them into the next life in peace.  It also helps those left behind take comfort in that peace. 

A sense of normalcy was welcomed on Saturday morning at Clareville hockey pitch.

My mother and Hazel choosing paint colours for the coffin

Gill and Pete getting things underway
The dads taking a quiet moment
My contribution
Anika's farewell to Gran
There are a whole lot more photos to share but this will do for the meantime.

No comments: