Saturday, May 19, 2012

Two sweeties

I love the movies and when I am retired I am going to go to EVERYTHING I want to. I am going to go to cheap sessions and take my own snacks, maybe some carrot sticks and an apple combo or vegemite sandwiches.  In the meantime I get to go to the movies with my lovely friend Alex, usually on a Saturday night and often indulge in a Kapiti ice cream to boot.

For the last two films we have probably been the youngest in the theatre but what the hay.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen was another book group book that I just couldn't bring myself to read.  To my shame I am often admitting that I do get put off by the cover and the supposed location.  Bad bad bad.  This film was so sweet and quietly funny and I know I have deprived myself of yet another good read.  Ewan McGregor, Dr Alfred is called in to help a rich sheik establish salmon fishing in Yemen, an indulgence but done with a kind heart.  Acting on the Sheik's behalf Emily Blunt - Harriet - has to encourage Fred to get on board with the project.  Their characters are just fantastic.  Both quiet and very proper but quietly funny and compassionate.  Although the inevitable does happen, it is never a done deal and actually not really what you expect.  Kristen Scott Thomas is bloody fantastic and says all the things I would love to say and lives life not giving a toss what anyone thinks or says.  Ruthless and hilarious.  There are lots of lovely government 'in jokes' and pokes at the Englishness of England...all just very very nice.  Beautiful scenery in Scotland and "Yemen' adds another layer of warmth and atmosphere.



The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as I am sure everyone already knows is just gorgeous.  Great acting, superb location, a little bit scruffy and just perfect.  Dame Judy as always is a delight to watch, Bill Nighy so himself but just that tiny bit held in, Dame Maggie superb....all of it and all of them were just very very good.  I did have a sense of foreboding thinking about how fucking horrible it is going to be to be old, however, like the characters I soon discovered that age can set you free and that is all there is to it.  It makes me want to go to India more than ever.  Definitely worth seeing. 



No comments: