Sunday, January 08, 2012

Just finished reading #47


Cutting for Stone -Abraham Verghese


This is a book I had been ignoring in the book group library for over a year; this was due mainly to two things…. The cover and the setting.  Books set in the misery of the African continent tend not to be appealing to me, however, my pals implored I read it as it was becoming a favorite of the group.  So, I tackled it in late November and have only just finished it.  Since living in an earthquake zone I would have to say reading becomes a very difficult activity.  Not because of shaking but of your mind finding it hard to focus.  Plus, I have issues with most books I read these days as I suspect they lack an editors hand and have between 50-100 pages too many.  I find myself bogged in the middle reading superfluous blah blah.  I am sure this is a well worn record from me so I will move on.  

Marion Stone is the narrator, a twin to Shiva; he is born in the Missing hospital in Addis Ababa during the time of Emperor Haile Selasie.  Their mother, a nun, dies during the birth and the father disappears.  From here we live through the trials and tribulations of Ethiopian politics and history as well as those of a hospital in a poor nation and in a loving family of two Indian Doctors who lovingly and mildly eccentrically raise these boys.   The life they have with their nanny and helpers is wonderful and warm. A lovely story of culture, history, life, love, cultures and traditions.  I really did enjoy it and raced through the last 250 pages in a day or so.  It isn’t depressing or worthy, rather a story of love and loyalty.  I really enjoyed the extensive medical stuff.  Well written and a good holiday read with a bit more.

On another note, I picked up a ‘chic lit’ title from the library for my real holiday reading.  40 pages in and I was furious with the character and the plot had a giant hole in it.  I am not a great reader but really, yuk.  That will teach me.   I am sure there is a ton of great chic lit out there but I obviously can’t pick them. 

No comments: