Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just finished reading #42 and #43

Unlike many of my friends I have managed to read since the earthquake.  It was as shaky start (excuse the pun) as it is very hard to concentrate after a major natural disaster but eventually I managed to pick up a book.  Having two good'ns has made my journey back into the world of words very easy. 
The Hut Builders - Laurence Fearnley

 
It is no secret that I love this woman's work.  She writes with perfection I think.  I am not a scholar so don't know if she is that great but her words, sense of place, characters and stories are enthralling.  I loved this book.  I suspect the title could really be anything really so don't be put off by the reference to the mountains.  It is set in the beautiful McKenzie country region and follows the life of Boden from the late 40's to the present day.  He is a very appealing character, self effacing, quiet and likable.  He does go up a mountain - ahh, I think I have just worked out the significance of that....  This is a book that requires commitment so stick with it, it is really worth it.  Beautiful writing and I own it.

The good daughters  Joyce Maynard



I read this one in one day and a bit.  I don't think it was the best book I have ever read but it was written in a style that made you want to turn the next page.  It was also one of those stories told by two characters taking a chapter each.  Those kind of books are often spellbinding.  Anyway this is how it goes...two girls are born on the same day to very different families in a small rural town.  their lives are entwined in many different ways and lots of good and bad things happen.  What I enjoyed was the subtlety and sophistication of the writing.  It could have been very bland and 'he said, she said' but it was delightful. Time passes and many things happen. This is such an enjoyable and interesting read.  No more information is forthcoming as I just can't bring myself to ruin a good story by telling you what happens.  For me the slow unraveling of a story is the delight of reading and the sign of a well developed story. 

1 comment:

. said...

I'll look out for them both! So pleased to hear that you are all getting back to some sort of normalacy, your thank you post was lovely... jusx