Monday, September 06, 2010

Shaking

Holy Shit Batman....an EARTHQUAKE.  A big one and it happened here in little old Christchurch.  There are pockets of devastation and some people have lost everything.  However, most of us are fine and we are carrying on as normal.  Normal being after shocks every hour or so, working from home and sharing stories.

I have to admit I wasn't even here.  Jonty and I were on a romantic surprise weekend in Sydney.  Nic was with my parents in ChCh so had to be very brave and cope without his parents.   We landed at 12 last night and it was really windy and I have had a weird spinny head going on.

So we found out through an avalanche of texts and the tv in our hotel.  Iwas shaking and crying wondering what had happened to my family.  Quickly I was in touch with them all and they were fine but everyone has lost something.  Small things mostly.  Everyone who experience the quake is damaged in some way.  People are a bit dazed, others getting worn down by the aftershocks and coming to terms with the loss of their homes.

100,000 homes are damaged.   Our libraries are amazing with so few books falling off shelves.  Crazy.
I am heart broken to see the beautiful old buildings that we love demolished.  Our city really is never going to be the same again, for anyone.  It takes time to ponder that impact.

Thank you everyone for lovely messages of support.

3 comments:

jasmine said...

So glad to hear your house is still ok. Must've have been horrible to hear about it while away, having only the news media and easily out-of-context txt messages to refer to. Sorry about your fancy pretty thing though, I remember how much you loved it :(

x

. said...

Glad to hear you're all well, how's the cathedral looking and the gorgeous Press building?

Sally said...

Jus the Cathedral is fine I think and the Press building too I think. They have both had earthquake strengthening on them over the years. You wouldnt recognise some parts of the city now. I cant bring myself to look yet.