Monday, November 09, 2009

Letter from the Gold Coast aka two sleeps

We are two sleeps into our GC adventure and although I would love to share stories of wonderment and sunshine, I am going to share a story of motherhood.

One of the challenging aspects of having a son like Nicholas is that his need for sleep is about half that of a normal person. Since the day he was born he has never really reached the sleeping goals I had been promised as an expectant mother. At 6 years and 8 months x 365+ days, he has NEVER gone back to sleep after waking between 5am and 6am. NEVER! So, why would his father say to him every day of his life...'now go back to bed and go back to sleep'? I was pondering this as I lay awake at 4am listening to my MP3 player this morning. Why would his father say to him 'go back to bed and go back to sleep'? I guess that is because that is what he would do. Nic and I share some things and being woken after 3am means you are up - for the day!

So, Nic has been on NZ time since we have been here. 3am yesterday morning and 4am this morning. Yesterday he and I went for a morning walk at 5.38am. Home for breakfast at 6.38am and then a whole live long day ahead of us. As we sat on the balcony watching the ocean hours later, a van pulled up and the blokes sat there eating. I said to Jonty 'isn't this a nice place to sit and eat your morning tea?' He snorted at me and pointed out that it was only breakfast time. Really?, I thought. However, the upside is, it is dark at 6.15pm up here in the tropics so it is ok to slink off to bed at 8 after a snooze on the sofa.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had a feeling you'd be enjoying early morning GC days!! Lovely to read your blog...look forward to hearing more...love to all. K.xxx

Anonymous said...

sal, bless that Nic he is a gem. Glad you are having a great time, as you are on hols maybe don't look at the clock and just live by the sun? I know how much you love sun and warmth. Enjoy the rest of your week love A xx

Anonymous said...

Best part of the day - he early mornings - as long as you can put yourself to bed early at the other end. For me it is a big ...yeah right ! Gill