Monday, November 02, 2009

Just finished reading #24

Novel about my wife - Emily PerkinsI bought this book for bookgroup hoping it was going to be a stunner. Considering it is an award winning book, I was a tiny bit disappointed. I could clearly see what the author was trying to do but I felt it lacked a little something for me.

It is written by 'Tom' and tells the story about his wife Ann who dies. She dies at the end of the story so thisis a posthumus tale. This knowledge contributes to the tension and anxiety of the story. Set in London it is well placed and you can visualise the places and get the feel of it. I think I missed some stuff along the way and I read it really slowly so was a little confused. However, looking back things keep popping up in my mind and I think I am still absorbing aspects of it. I think it was a little harrowing and very thought provoking. A few too many back stories left untold. However, not a terrible book and the writing was good.


There is a much better review of this novel in the Listener by someone who is much more discerning and obviously less distracted than me. I agree with most of it. (June 21 2008)http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3554/artsbooks/11305/london_yields_.html

No comments: