Saturday, May 24, 2008

Film of the year - so far

I just can't describe this film with out it sounding dire and depressing but on the contrary 'The diving bell and the butterfly' is a stunning 5 out of 5 or even a 10 out of 10. I jokingly referred to it before going tonight as 'my left eye' as it is about a French magazine editor who is left with 'locked-in syndrome' after suffering a stroke. His only means of communicatoin was his left eye. Terrible enough in itself ,you expect even worse things to happen to him post trauma but the reality is that it was a very moving story, simple and powerful. Shot from the left eye and other sympathetic angles it is stunning. Alex and I just loved it and you have to see it. I have never seen an audience so quiet and respectful. Stunning.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sal, a perfect way to describe the film. I have sung its praises this week, however a simple description or even storyline summary doesn't do it justice. I was met with giggles or worse "how depressing". It touched me in a profound way and although that sounds a bit naff - it really did. Thanks for coming,I'm glad we could share such a wonderful and inspirational film.