Thursday, July 26, 2012

Library love

Comments like this is why I get out of bed in the morning, even when it is cold or grim outside.  People appreciating what we do, so lyrically, is what librarians live for....

"Dear Art Gallery and Library, I wish to acknowledge and thank you for a recent epiphany about Christchurch. Time was first spent looking at every panel of your "Conversations on a City " . I had a sense of both remembering and despair as I afterwards walked towards the Peterborough Street. The desolation was a reminder of why I've never been able to engage with any city plans, or sketches of the future. Everything seems not right without any hope of a new city. Gothic, NeoGothic, cricket ground,... all do nothing for me. I'm missing something. A 440 kV shock hit me when I saw the mural above the Peterborough Library. This is exactly what I've been missing since Feb '11. Colour, shapes that move from simple mathematical form at the centre through to Pacific forms growing at the margins. I could imagine the ends being joined. This was my first glimpse as to what a new Christchurch could become. Curves, colour and symbols standing out from straight lines of the past. Thanks for making such a strong statement despite not having a gallery or a large library. Art and books once again are vital for me to understand and engage with the complex changes that will be a new Christchurch. "

The art work by Richard Killean is what this customer was refering to...a treasure which we feel privileged to provide a space for



No comments: