Sunday, April 22, 2012

Daily Pics

Every day as I ride around the city on my bike, to and from work and to meetings I see people taking lots of photos of our damaged buildings as they stand and as they fall.  I have not really done much photo taking and I wondered, with the rapid rate of change, whether I should take a few snaps just to remember because once they are gone you just can't remember what was there.  So, on my way to work the other morning I snapped a few shots from my bike.  


Starting on the corner of Cambridge Tce and Barbados Street....
Beauty still exists.  Note how scruffy the waters edge is in the foreground.  Small things have changed.





Just up the block, an empty section and a sad house.
Across the road, a really good example of the wonky storybook look we are demonstrating in Christchurch east this year.
From Peterborough St looking at the back of the Med Lab South building on Kilmore. 

Colombo looking South from Peterborough...No Metro or Johnson's, Lime Bar or antique shops
The Town Hall through the ruble of the Convention Centre from Peterborough
What is left of the Crown Plaza(Park Royal) where Jonty and I spent the first night of marriage.  Our room is still there. Corner Durham, Victoria and Kilmore.

Cranmer Court, corner of Kilmore and Canmer Square. Love the photo in the window.  A wistful image of what might have come before.
The lovely Environment COurt building on Durham St corner of Armagh.  Not much gets to me in the destruction of the city, I have a very pragmatic view, however, this breaks my heart.  I love this building
Another view of it

Provincial Council building...being lovingly looked after since February 2011
Don't know what this building was but this is a view of Hereford St building from the Stirp, in front of where the Banaglor Polo Club used to be.
Very attractive alley I bike down to get from Cashel to Lichfield which, by the end of the day was cordoned.  One year down the track and this building on the right is obviously coming down or too dangerous to be near.  I always thought it was a place to move through at speed. 
Finally, the very attractive entrance to the warehouse in which I and many of my colleagues have and do work. 

2 comments:

. said...

Wow... it still makes me stop in my tracks. Hope you're well and that the warehouse has a decent heating system?!! x

Sally said...

Hi Jus. Yes we do have heating and all the other comforts of home except attractive decor. Can't complain. It does make me gasp getting around the place too. Everyday it is a reminder of how weird life is here.