Thursday, April 21, 2011

Willowbank

There are often silver linings to be found when you live in an earthquake zone and you are often looking for them during the drudgery of getting about.  Yesterday I had one of those linings.  Being able to work flexibility meant that I got to go to Willowbank Wildlife Park with Nicholas.  At the age of eight, this was the first time we had done this together.  He has been several times but not with me.  Aside from that lovely mother son bonding moment I got to escape earthquake stuff for a couple of hours as well as see some very cool NZ natives. I almost shed a tear when I got a hand space away from a gorgeous little kiwi with not a pane of glass in site.  Loved it

 Come to think of it there were lots of introduced species there too which are a bit more approachable and cute
 Soft wallaby

 Scruffy and nosey Llamas
 Nat and Nic trying to get the kea to take the bait


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean Sally - after years of visiting nocturnal houses at zoos, I finally saw my first ever kiwi at Willowbank. And so close too, I found it very moving and cried. Luckily in the dark! Love Willowbank, used to go there often with a little Anna in the buggy for a wander around. K.xx.