Sunday, December 19, 2010

Just finished reading #37

Sonata for Miriam by Linda Olsson.




It is so nice to finish a book. I have been struggling with at least 5 unfinished books on my bedside cabinet over the last few months and then I can across this little gem of a read.   I am going to make an effort to review it but if you want to read exactly what I thought of it follow this link because this woman feels exactly as I do about the book.    I read Linda's other book called 'Sing me gentle songs'  and loved it.  As I have previously mentioned I love books set in cold places and islands and both these books are set similarly.  Both with a New Zealand bit and  Swedish bit.  The juxtaposition of the brightness of New Zealand light and cool glumness of Swedish winters written about with such skill, make for great reading.  As I seldom read the blurbs of books with any real attention, I am always left breathless when things happen.  It makes for a slow revealing of the story and a true adventure.  Sometimes, I would never have embarked on a book if I had known what I was getting myself into.  In this book Miriam dies fairly early on in the story and as she is only 19 and the only living relative of Adam Anker a displaced Pole in NZ, it could be the most heartbreaking story.  However, it is a story of discovery and written by a woman whom has the most beautiful way of putting words on a page.  Spare detail, if there is such a thing, means she uses each word with such care and effect.  Anyway, Adam goes on a journey of discovery trying to find out where he has come from and discovers secrets and sad things about his family.  I found bits confusing but as always thought it was me but others felt the same.  However, this did not diminish the tale or the fascinating characters. 

No comments: