Saturday, November 13, 2010

Just finished reading #36

I really did just finish reading this book ...

while sitting in this chair under the apricot tree....

 watching Nic play with the hose and this fantastic blow up stuff, which I did help blow up by holding the nozzle.  Sadly, I have no pictures of this event as although we have more cameras than people in this house, things are not going well in that department.  (I did manage to get these pics after the fact which is a bit of a fluke)

This is my second Maggie O'Farrell and if I didn't love her before, I really do now.  Tears are welling just thinking about this story.  I loved it and I am not sure why.  Basically it is about mothers and children but not so obviously until you say it out loud.  Lexie comes to live in London in the '60's and has a great life in Soho writing for a magazine and meeting fantastic people.  Elina lives in London too (about now) and we meet her shortly after a pretty intense birth experience which I would say she is handling much better than her loving partner Ted.  I am not going to tell you any more than this as the story needs to tell itself.  However, these two women are lovely interesting and warm characters.  Not soppy by any means, in fact not at all but something about them is very very compelling and I just had to read the last half of this book today at every opportunity I could.  The story of their connection unravel in a way I was not expecting but that is not to say you wont as I am an endearingly gullible reader who has been known to gasp while reading plot twists and turns.  I bought this for my bookgroup as recommended by my friend Erica and it has to be a winner.  Read it!
 
The Hand that first held mine - Maggie O'Farrell

No comments: