Saturday, July 10, 2010

why I love my son

Having spent a blissful Saturday morning in the mall and library with the boy I had a chance to reflect on how much and why I love him to bits...
  • he loves clothes shopping and has a keen sense of style  (even though I think the real attraction is the locking mechanism on the change room door)
  • he takes great interest in anything I am trying to buy, lipstick, clothes, shoes etc
  • he asks great questions -' if a raisin wasn't a grape would it be a fruit?'
  • in the middle of contemplative moments he offers to share his skills in counting ...'do you want me to count in doubles?'
  • he sets little tests for me-with flash cards - 'how do you say hello in Maori to more than 3 people?'  with a little set of flash cards with stick figures on them.
  • he sings like an angel
  • of all the things he could have had for his morning tea at the mall today, he chose seaweed salad
  • he still holds my hand when we are out and about...
...and so it goes on.  It is important for me to remember this on the not so great moments.

Other fun things I did today included shopping.  I haven't had the time or energy to do that much lately so today was pretty epic.  Although I went out to get boots for me and didn't get any I still ended up with great booty
  • two pairs of pants for Nic from Pumpkin Patch...on sale
  • lipstick, mascara and hand cream using beauty club vouchers (and some cash)
  • two cds from Borders - REM (which it turns out we have - obviously a keen favorite), and kd lang
  • a smiggle postcard pad
  • fabric, lining, shoulder pads, thread and a pattern to make a winter coat.  Wow.  The last thing I sewed that wasn't a straight line was my bridesmaid dress for Karen's wedding
  • and groceries to make a picnic for our trip to the snow tomorrow. 
I am not even going to look at the bank account.  No good can come of that.

    2 comments:

    jasminetheagnost said...

    oh man I miss you guys!!!! What are you doing for Dad's bday? I was gonna take an AL day or two and come up for a long weekend if you guys are having a shindig in CHCH. And what a nice post. Nic is such a lovely boy! talk soon eh? xxx J

    Anonymous said...

    Lovely comments Sal, I hope you showed Nic too. He is a sweetie and no doubt knows how much he is loved. REM (fav band in the world) Automatic for the People is a fab album ... enjoy. I LOVE Michael Stipe... maybe too much A x