Saturday, February 06, 2010

Just finished reading #30

Her fearful symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger

I pinched this bit from somwhere else

'When Elspeth Noblin dies of cancer, she leaves her London apartment to her twin nieces, Julia and Valentina. These two American girls never met their English aunt, only knew that their mother, too, was a twin, and Elspeth her sister. Julia and Valentina are semi-normal American teenagers -- with seemingly little interest in college, finding jobs, or anything outside their cozy home in the suburbs of Chicago, and with an abnormally intense attachment to one another.


The girls move to Elspeth's flat, which borders Highgate Cemetery in London. They come to know the building's other residents. There is Martin, a brilliant and charming crossword puzzle setter suffering from crippling Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; Marjike, Martin's devoted but trapped wife; and Robert, Elspeth's elusive lover, a scholar of the cemetery. As the girls become embroiled in the fraying lives of their aunt's neighbors, they also discover that much is still alive in Highgate, including -- perhaps -- their aunt, who can't seem to leave her old apartment and life behind.'

I didnt read The Time Travellers Wife and I have no real desire to do that.  So, I came to this book without any expectations and I loved it.  I have read mixed reviews so it is either one you love or not so much. I thought it was a great read for a holiday and the characters and setting were so interesting.  The writing enabled me to visualise everything and I got very tied up in the whole thing.  Don't want to say more, but if you are looking for an absorbing read about interesting people, read it.

2 comments:

. said...

The camping looked amazing! It's funny you've mentioned this book...I ignored it at book club recently because having just finished the time travelers wife and been more than a little irritated by it (can't put my finger on why it irritated me, but blimey it did)I didn't fancy more of the same. I'll give it a spin next time tho...x

Sally said...

MMM, the characters might annoy you in this one too. I have a friend who loved time traveller but got really annoyed with this one. Tell me what you think...or I will read it on your blog.